Universal design for learning
This continuing professional development event invites you to consider what an inclusive higher education provider looks and feels like today, and more importantly what it will be in the future, with a specific focus on the experience of disabled students.
Produced in collaboration with De Montfort University, this event is designed from the perspective that disability is caused and facilitated by our approaches and practices, as opposed to being the acceptable natural consequence of impairment.
The Disability Enhancement Programme at De Montfort University, which heavily informed the Department for Education guidance ‘Inclusive teaching and learning in higher education as a route to excellence’, outlines how one institution is achieving student inclusivity, for example through the application of a Universal Design for Learning framework. Using this programme as a focused case study, you’ll be invited to:
- Work collaboratively to develop specific models of what constitutes an inclusive institution for today and the future.
- Discuss barriers to successful institutional progress, with a clear focus on how to overcome these.
- Plan strategic approaches to aid advancement of student inclusivity within your own organisation.
By the end of the day you’ll be able to:
- Clearly and concisely articulate your vision for what your institution needs to achieve for a 'truly inclusive student experience'.
- Consider how to position this vision in a way that will achieve holistic buy-in.
- Identify the key stakeholders you need to engage and influence, as well as considered ways to approach this.
- Develop personal, departmental or institutional action points to facilitate progress in student inclusivity.
You should attend this event if you’re a Student Services professional or academic leading work in this area. The day will be most beneficial if you encourage your academic and/or professional colleagues to attend, so that you can engage collaboratively.
Location, time and price
This one day event takes place at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria in Sheffield.
Registration opens at 09:30, and the first session starts at 10:00.
Here are the delegate prices (which include lunch):
- AMOSSHE named member - £160 (log in to access this rate)
- Member colleague (non-member, but an employee of an AMOSSHE member organisation) - £180
- Non-member (individuals, not-for-profit organisations and higher education providers not associated with AMOSSHE) - £200
- Corporate non-member - £255
You don’t need to pay VAT for AMOSSHE events. Before booking, please read our booking terms and conditions.
More details about this event, and the form to book your place, will be available soon!